Follow Slashdot blog updates by subscribing to our blog RSS feed

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Technology

Broadcom Ends Support For Free ESXi Vmware Hypervisor 105

stikves writes: Today, Broadcom announced immediate end of ESXi availability. ESXi has been an important tool for many "homelab" enthusiasts -- offering simple bare metal virtualization for small setups. Unfortunately they don't offer a replacement, except for paid subscription services.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Broadcom Ends Support For Free ESXi Vmware Hypervisor

Comments Filter:
  • by MikeDataLink ( 536925 ) on Monday February 12, 2024 @02:21PM (#64234576) Homepage Journal

In 10 years it will have been replaced by something else. Mark my words.

• I mean, it already has. VMWare drove private clouds, and the way they got in the market was giving out ESXi free. Every IT person at least tried it at some point. Early public cloud providers used VMWare on the backend, and routed every request to support who had people to manage the hypervisor. Eventually, this was replaced by cloud platforms where you could do 99% of the requests to the VMWare hosting providers yourself. This was done by putting an abstraction/management layer (cloud console) on top
      • by Junta ( 36770 ) on Monday February 12, 2024 @02:36PM (#64234600)

I'd say Xen has largely gone away for 'new adoption' as well. The dom0 concept meant your 'host OS' was almost, but not quite your host OS, and while Hyper-V has a similar architecture, it's less broken about it. Every Linux-leaning shop I've seen goes qemu-kvm as the virtualization/emulation approach nowadays.

But either way you slice it, I agree that VMWare's customer base are largely businesses that decided to do x86 virtualization about 20 years ago and have never taken a pause to evaluate alternatives as they became available and matured.

• by poptix ( 78287 ) on Monday February 12, 2024 @02:41PM (#64234614) Homepage

This is just more value extraction. There's no need to maintain the onramp when you've already got your customers.

"Krause told investors that the company actively pursues 600 customers -- the top three tiers of the pyramid above -- because they are often in highly regulated industries, therefore risk-averse, and unlikely to change suppliers."

https://www.theregister.com/20... [theregister.com]

• by Junta ( 36770 ) on Monday February 12, 2024 @02:44PM (#64234622)

Exactly, and this isn't the first time that exact pyramid appeared in a Broadcom acquisition strategy either. They are explicitly happy to lose 100,000 accounts in the name of gouging the hell out of 600.

• We have about 150 hosts on ESXi and have started migrating basic server solutions to KVM. We will put some development time in to handle many of the same automations we had done or used VMware tools to do so prior. We will be off VMware in 2024, but this process had been decided min-last year for us.
            • I understand that the plan is that those 600 customers will be willing to pay more since they are "locked in" for the forseeable future and that means they can cut developer time / support to just focus on the needs of those few customers.

Meaning they don't have to bother about working on features needed by the other orgs / smaller businesses, or have enough support staff to support the 10000s of smaller customers.

Presumably they will be able to cut alot of cost and milk those few customers and still profit

• Exactly, and this isn't the first time that exact pyramid appeared in a Broadcom acquisition strategy either. They are explicitly happy to lose 100,000 accounts in the name of gouging the hell out of 600.

Capital is rent-seeking again I see. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are no laws surrounding such behavior. The behavior destroys industries but is extremely profitable.

Fucking lazy parasites.

• This is just more value extraction. There's no need to maintain the onramp when you've already got your customers.

Typical short-term (and mediocre CEO) thinking. A few years down the road, the next CEO will have to explain to the shareholders why the company hasn't been growing and how he's going to remedy that.

• by Junta ( 36770 )

The operational word is 'the next CEO', so the current CEO (who incidentally doesn't give a crap about the business beyond his next stock vesting) makes out like a bandit while burning the business to the ground.

So that CEO would take issue with 'mediocre', from their perspective it all worked out amazing.

• by DarkOx ( 621550 )

I am not sure Broadcom is taking the wrong strategy here.

Virtualization is a commodity product now. No libvirt+qemu+kvm isnt a drop in replacement for VSphere, but what is missing is mostly glue, not 'high-tech' stuff, in other words you can probably contract for a few devs to build whatever specifically you need.

Continued development of ESX probably represents a lot of cost for a market segment that is only going to get smaller, no matter what you do. Even if there is a move from the cloud back to the corp

• by HBI ( 10338492 )

Keep in mind that without a competitor, Hyper-V won't get much love, like File and Print Services for Netware (FPNW), Microsoft's Netware killer, kind of died on the vine after 2000 or so.

Install NT 4.0, license 426-1111111 and then put FPNW atop it and you had the functional equivalent of any Netware 3.11/3.12 server with a size only limited by available bandwidth and compute. No wonder Novell died. Same trick MS was pulling with Hyper-V.

• by Junta ( 36770 )

Frankly, does Hyper-V need 'much love'? It's certain they'll keep it up to date with the platforms which is necessary, beyond that it is pretty much 'done'.

It will continue to face competition from the likes of Proxmox and RedHat.

Frankly, vSphere hasn't changed anything fundamental much in years, despite some version bumps. They painted themselves into a corner with no logical place to go (all the cool stuff was on top of actual operating systems, and they were very much trying explicitly *not* to be an op

• by HBI ( 10338492 )

I imagine you weren't at Ready in Vegas in 2019 when all the fist pumping and bellowing - full monkey boy dance mode - about getting VMware running on Azure. Sort of. Anywho, MSFT thinks VMware as a gateway to Azure is a big deal and competing with Hyper-V was important from that perspective. Absent a real competitor - c'mon, Proxmox doesn't even figure on their radar - they won't even bother. They seriously considered making 2019 their last version of Server.

On-prem infrastructure at MSFT is getting li

• by Junta ( 36770 )

They seriously considered making 2019 their last version of Server.

Was this last version as in "Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows, it's now a rolling release" or last version as in actually discontinuing the product?

I would say that even if it were the latter, competing with VMWare wouldn't make them work *harder* on their on-premise solution. Microsoft has been full tilt burning any on-premise to the ground, because it's just not as profitable as holding the customers hostage to a subscription.

• by DarkOx ( 621550 )

I wasnt but of course MS wanted VMWare running in Azure - that is obvious path as far as lift and shift migration of on premises to the cloud. However beyond - it works and you can manage and support it organizationally 'well' enough to allow you to migrate those tricky hosts, what more is needed? The point is allow places that are seeking to go 100% cloud to get that done more quickly so companies can shed the local DC costs sooner and start renting compute time from M$ sooner.

Long term how "good" VMWare

• Plenty of glue is out there. Nutanix, Proxmox, XCP-NG, Ubuntu, Red Hat, pretty much everyone has feature-complete, near drop-in replacement for whatever you want in VMware for a fraction of the cost.

You can migrate about any VMware infrastructure without even needing to buy new hardware.

• by Gavino ( 560149 )
                  But commercial backup systems don't support the more esoteric ones. For instance I use Nakivo and it only supports VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and Nutanix AHV and I hadn't even heard of the last one until now.
                  • by guruevi ( 827432 )

Well, perhaps you should kick all your proprietary vendors to the curb, wouldn't be a bad idea, what happens to your backups when Nakivo (never heard of them FYI) goes belly-up because their VMware customers abandoned them?

Nutanix is KVM based so if something can backup Nutanix, it can backup most of the other ones with perhaps the exception of Xen-based stuff like XCP although Citrix isn't exactly an unknown company to the big enterprises either.

If your backup program can't target a generic storage and res

• This. Openstack is a capable virtualizstion environment. Updates to Hotizon and CLI tooling make it a viable solution for a lot of enterprises, especially if they have hybrid virtualization loads.
            • by Zak3056 ( 69287 )

Typical short-term (and mediocre CEO) thinking. A few years down the road, the next CEO will have to explain to the shareholders why the company hasn't been growing and how he's going to remedy that.

This seems unlikely; "VMWare" isn't "the company" anymore, it's Broadcom, and Broadcom has been following this strategy for some time now. Its shareholders seem happy with the way things are going--their stock price is 5x what it was four years ago, and >20x what it was ten years ago. Revenue is up 14x over that same period.

Personally, I hate these sonsofbitches and what they do to the companies they acquire and their acquisition of VMWare has certainly screwed me in the mid to long term, but the share

• by ebunga ( 95613 )

The only problem is that virtualization isn't your normal Enterprise Lock-In. It's literally the abstraction that prevents it in the first place! VMware will be dead within five years, probably much shorter.

• by Junta ( 36770 )

You are thinking too logically. Logic has no place here, this is business IT.

Some people were *convinced* that software couldn't run under virtualization versus baremetal unless the software vendor supported it.

Now you have software which 'certifies' that it works under vmware. CIOs eat that up.

• by DarkOx ( 621550 )

Nah - if you use ESX / VSphere - things are highly coupled to your backup plans/software/equipment, hot/cold site fail over, storage design/controller choices etc.

Is it hard like swapping out your ERP systems; but its non-trivial.

• But either way you slice it, I agree that VMWare's customer base are largely businesses that decided to do x86 virtualization about 20 years ago and have never taken a pause to evaluate alternatives as they became available and matured.

I spent almost 14 years recently working for a Fortune 500 company. My severance package doesn't allow me to name them - yet. But I can tell you that they often made decisions on finding another company to blame if stuff went wrong. For example, my department used completely free Linux versions for years but eventually they made us switch to a commercial variant so we had someone to blame if anything went wrong with it. When I was last there, we were starting to move a few customers to AWS instead o

• by CAIMLAS ( 41445 )

Xen hasn't been a serious part of the picture for most considerations for close to a decade, perhaps longer, due to the overall complexity and inflexibility of deployment. It's heavy coupling to storage location/container is a particular agitation...

• by Junta ( 36770 )

I can only hope.

I frankly thought the exact same thing 10 years ago. At the time Hyper-V and QEMU-KVM had already had 5 years under their belt and I was sure the market would shrug off vmmware and go to their respective corners where 'virtualization' is no longer a wholly separate thing and just becomes part of the 'operating system' management you already did. Whether your "main" workload was more Microsoft-like or Linux-like, there was a virtualization solution more affine. By it's nature, no one could

• by rlwinm ( 6158720 )
        Precisely. These days KVM and Hyper-V are running the vast majority of IT workloads with the major cloud providers using them. VMware decided to make themselves a footnote in computing history. No loss. For home labs Xen works pretty well too. I haven't touched VMware since the mid 2000's. And there's VirtualBox for those who want something similar.
    • Did it a long time ago. Switched over to Proxmox, a web-gui for qemu with a bunch of really nice features, backup solutions, container support out of the box and a bunch of other stuff.

Of course they try to push you towards a subscription, but their free tier is just as good, if you're willing to spend time on their boards instead of asking their support for solutions. The usual spiel, if you're a company and an hour of time costs more than 100 bucks, you're better off with the sub.

• by Anonymous Coward

Every single decision Broadscum has made seems to be one of purposefully killing a product. I don't get it.

• by Junta ( 36770 )

Broadly speaking, they explicitly have a strategy around "if we lose 80% of our customer/user base, it's fine as long as it lets us gouge the remaining 20% by at least 500%". Correlated with a presumed plan to have cashed in their restricted stock and go on to next company/retire by the time consequences ensue.

Incidentally, if you look at 'enterprise' IT, you can see that it can take over a decade for consequences to catch up, so it's a pretty safe bet you can gouge the hell out of those shops until your s

• I have been in a company with that strategy. About 80% of their revenue came from a single customer.

What do you think happened when that customer noticed they got the company by the balls?

• by ebunga ( 95613 )

Their goal is to jackpot the customers that can't move, which is extremely stupid once you realize we're talking about a stack of products that make it easy for customers to move, and your competitive advantage was that you made management of everything a little easier.

• by NFN_NLN ( 633283 )

The product is ALREADY terminally ill. They're just extracting as much as they can before it becomes unsellable.

VMware was a leader by staying ahead of the curve. That was their value.
      They virtualized compute.
      They virtualized storage.
      They virtualized networking.

There is no where else to go and competitors are slowly catching up. Once competitors meet 90% feature parity there is no justification in budgets for VMware.
      VMware shareholders know this and don't want to be holding the bad. In comes Broadcom to

• by kalpol ( 714519 ) on Monday February 12, 2024 @02:23PM (#64234586)
    I figured this was coming, so I was looking into Proxmox. Proxmox looks nice but appears to have a way steeper learning curve and poorer documentation than ESXi, which was a pretty good way to get into homelab virtualization. I need to learn about containers now, so perhaps it's a good kick in the pants to map out my homelab future. But it still sucks.
    • XCP-ng looks like a great replacement, with a decent web interface and everything.

• We use XCP-ng in the office, but it has one major flaw. You can't nest M$ Hyper-V in it. The M$ Hyper-V fails under XCP-ng, but seems to work in other nest virtualization setups. Long running bug that really needs fixing, as it prevents being able to run WSL2 on virtualized workstations. And I understand it causes issues with Docker on windows as well.

https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/... [github.com]

• by Gavino ( 560149 )
          That's a big shame. I use VMMware with Windows servers on top, and the Windows servers run RDS - Remote Desktop Services. It's like using RDP for your computer. It works OK. Those RDS sessions use virtual filesystem containers. I need to have Windows Hyper-V service installed so I can manipulate those containers and make them bigger / smaller etc. It seems like Microsoft Hyper-V is my only real alternative at this point.
      • by kalpol ( 714519 )
        Installing it on my test server as we speak.
    • I'm a dumbass for the most part. Proxmox is easy and quite stable. I can't speak to its suitability in the enterprise, but for homelab? Hands down an excellent solution with great community support. Don't be so quick to dismiss it.
      • Works in a pro environment too, unless you want to manage a few 100 metals running a few 10,000 VMs and load balance them, that's a wee bit outside its paygrade.

But frankly, if you can afford some 100 blades, don't be a cheapskate and get a decent virtual manager that can handle that load.

• by CAIMLAS ( 41445 )

Honestly, your UID is low enough that the only person to blame on this is you.

The writing has been on the wall for VMware for over a decade at this point: that it took Broadcom to acquire them to push folks out is just a detail. The product has been increasingly verticalized, with ever-increasing Oracle-like licensing and hostility towards technical early adopters.

The proxmox documentation is quite good and thorough. Arguably, it's easier to deal with than VMware's documentation, if you're comfortable with

• by kalpol ( 714519 )
        > Honestly, your UID is low enough that the only person to blame on this is you. and this is my second UID too! You're not wrong. I've been thinking about getting off ESXi for years, but it was so stable, and it's a hobby, not a job, so I did other things to my setup. I had been making preparations, but not very quickly. I'll use the time to check out some alternatives, I'm installing xcp-ng as I speak, and Proxmox looked fine anyway - just wanted to make sure I knew enough to know what I liked before
        • by kalpol ( 714519 )
          all this time and I also forgot the hard line break too
        • by CAIMLAS ( 41445 )

Oh - only a hobby! Totally excused, then. My apologies for coming off judgy.

ESXi has been "dead" from a hobbyist POV since 6.5 (or whatever it was) lost its hardware support, way back around 2012. That's when I'd decided it wasn't suitable for further deployments. If I have to pay for test systems, I don't want it.

• Exactly. Gave up on ESXi in my home lab around the time 7.x was introduced and VMWare failed to support a lot of older hardware (eg RAID or HBA controllers) that home labs are often built around. Proxmox has been great and offers anything I've needed for clustering and HA.

• by peril ( 11405 )

> Honestly, your UID is low enough that the only person to blame on this is you.

and this is my second UID too! You're not wrong. I've been thinking about getting off ESXi for years, but it was so stable, and it's a hobby, not a job, so I did other things to my setup. I had been making preparations, but not very quickly.

I'll use the time to check out some alternatives, I'm installing xcp-ng as I speak, and Proxmox looked fine anyway - just wanted to make sure I knew enough to know what I liked before I jumped ship.

Your low uid comments made me laugh ;) It's both a blessing and curse - get off your ass and lay down that low uid knowledge.

• by tjones ( 1282 )

Your low uid comments made me laugh ;) It's both a blessing and curse - get off your ass and lay down that low uid knowledge.

The only true low UID knowledge is knowing that saying nothing is often the best choice.

Which means I just screwed up.

• by peril ( 11405 )

Proxmox is based on debian; as long as you don't mind relatively stable featureset - you will be pleased. Promox is not an enterprise replacement for vmware, as it doesn't have all of the concepts of scaled capacity pooling and antiaffinity (yet); but for a home lab setup - you can easily run up to a hundred smallish vms on a 4-5 node cluster and be pleased. It's a great dev / test environment, and can do prod to some defintion of scale. The more you can build from bare metal up, the better you can scale

• Oh well (Score:5, Interesting)

by slaker ( 53818 ) on Monday February 12, 2024 @02:27PM (#64234594)

Proxmox is free. Windows Server Hyper-V is (surprisingly enough) free as well. I haven't used ESXi in ages, but last time I did, I remember that I had to do a whole bunch of extra work because X or Y key feature found in Vsphere wasn't supported on the freebie version.

The world doesn't explicitly need ESXi any longer and it sounds like the move to cater to Broadcom's biggest customers will just lead to a world where fewer professionals are familiar with its platform. Good luck with that.

• Re:Oh well (Score:5, Informative)

by Zak3056 ( 69287 ) on Monday February 12, 2024 @02:46PM (#64234630) Journal

Windows Server Hyper-V is (surprisingly enough) free as well.

The free standalone "Windows Hyper-V Server" is dead (2019 was the last version). The Hyper-V role is still there (and will continue to still be there) but is licensed as part of the Windows Server OS so is not, strictly speaking, "free."

• Windows Server Hyper-V is (surprisingly enough) free as well.

The free standalone "Windows Hyper-V Server" is dead (2019 was the last version). The Hyper-V role is still there (and will continue to still be there) but is licensed as part of the Windows Server OS so is not, strictly speaking, "free."

While MS is no longer releasing new standalone Hyper-V servers, they've stated that the 2019 version will remain available for download and will be supported until 2029. So if you're wanting to dip your toes into a Microsoft-centric virtual server setup, that's still a cheap way to do it for another 5 years. Plenty of time to evaluate your options and decide if it's worth moving on to a licensed copy of Windows Server (which as you noted, always has the Hyper-V role available).

• by kalpol ( 714519 )
      Yes, I ran into a few small snags with ESXi (mainly backups which I worked around with xsi), but for a noob it was easy to install and setup, and stable, and also ran just fine on consumer desktops I was using at the time for servers. I don't mind leaving it, I'm just annoyed I have to play some catchup now to study up on different stuff - the oldest and strongest fear is the fear of the unknown.
      • by Pascoea ( 968200 )
        I bailed when they pulled the "open" linux drivers for RAID and Network cards in ESXi 7. I wasn't about to spend "real" money to get compatible cards for my crappy home server, so I ditched them and switched to XEN/XOA. A bit of a learning curve, not quite as "clean" as ESX, but it meets the needs.
    • incus and lxd are free. I have them installed on desktops and servers.
    • it sounds like the move to cater to Broadcom's biggest customers will ...

it sounds like the move to bleed Broadcom's biggest customers will ...

• by Anonymous Coward
    VMware player is next, I'm surprised they haven't kill it off yet.
  • Configuring EXSi always felt like configuring an old NetWare server. Janky.

Although heretical, I host all my Linux VMs on Hyper-V
    • by CAIMLAS ( 41445 )

Agreed. I would not be surprised if that was an intentional design decision on their part, though.

• Now days there's a big push toward the cloud. VMWare has gotten very expensive. So much so that we replaced it with Nutanix because we can't put our system in the cloud. I suspect Broadcom is positioning VMWare to die. When it was just starting out it made sense to get community IT people using it so they'd push it in the IT environment. They don't want that anymore.
  • I'm already frozen on ESXi 6.5 because of compatibility issues they started introducing after that. I have an iso with all the NIC drivers they pulled after 6.0 added.

I'll likely just stick with it until there is something I need to do that it won't, but I don't see that happening until my next hardware refresh... Not much you can do if some new driver is required and support is gone. Then I guess it'll be ProxMox.

• Proxmox (Score:5, Interesting)

by labnet ( 457441 ) on Monday February 12, 2024 @04:34PM (#64234968)

Proxmox is free and stable with great management tools.
    It also has Proxmox backup server which has time compaction and file level restore.
    We run about 60 VMs with 6 servers and 2 SANs, have dashboard monitoring for it all. Been rock solid.

• I was just thinking of building a new multi-head desktop like that described here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/l... [pugetsystems.com]

The example from Puget Systems is for gaming but I'm not necessarily concerned about gaming but just getting two or three nice workstations in one box. If ESXi isn't free then how much to buy a license? Are there other hypervisors that offer similar features? The one feature that made ESXi suited to this multi-head style system was PCI pass-through. I want the VM to have direct control of

• by DarkOx ( 621550 )

You can do PCI-Passthru with Qemu-KVM/ with or without libvirt.

They seem to have used dedicated GPUs for each head. So you can still build something like this with the host being any light-weight Linux distribution really.

About the only thing FOSS does not have is a good V-GPU solution with a windows driver. So if you want a windows guest with GPU support you'll have to give exclusive use of physical GPU. Virtual GL works for other Linux guests, but I don't know if the performance is all that good or not b

• Basically all the hypervisors support PCIe passthrough(except the 'desktop' ones, neither vmware workstation nor win10/11 hyper-v do); though there's a risk of...complications...because doing that relies on the platform's IOMMU and PCIe ACS support to both exist and not just be a buggy stub that's enough to tick some checkboxes.

Had to do some of that a little while back; and found that getting anyone to confirm the presence or absence of PCIe ACS was like pulling teeth; and that there were PCIe periphera
      • Basically all the hypervisors support PCIe passthrough(except the 'desktop' ones, neither vmware workstation nor win10/11 hyper-v do); though there's a risk of...complications...because doing that relies on the platform's IOMMU and PCIe ACS support to both exist and not just be a buggy stub that's enough to tick some checkboxes.

Which of the hypervisor options handled PCI pass-through as easily and stable as ESXi? I like ESXi because it did PCI and USB pass-through so well. USB pass-through might be enough for me to get what I want but I'd prefer PCI pass-through for simplifying the handling of multiple displays. PCI pass-through on a USB controller means I can skip a step on directing devices to the intended VM by just picking the appropriate USB port to plug in the device. I'd miss that if I can't get that. I've also become

• ...that a free and useful piece of software will remain free
    Mercenary weasels are always on the lookout for free stuff that they can turn into a subscription
    The enshitification continues

• by DMJC ( 682799 )
    Back to the bad old days of cracking Cisco Call Manager to run on kvm. Oh well.
    • BTW for context: Cisco lock their phone system to only work on vmware esxi hosts. Hardware checks prevent the system from working on kvm, hyper-v and all other virtualiser platforms.
  • I'm sorry to see this go. I have fond memories of deploying the free version of ESXi for situations where there was just no budget for a commercial alternative, and the goal was simply consolidating 4 or 5 physical rack or tower servers into one machine to save on electricity, etc.

But I know time marches on, and there's not much use-case for NEW customers to pay for VMWare ESXi. So Broadcom has no real incentive to maintain support for the free edition. At this point, ESXi is mostly about existing customers

• Basing your operations completely on proprietary solutions is just asking for being extorted later. In this realm, fortunately, there are FOSS options. And options that are not only very robust, but most also have commercial support options as well.

Knowing your pricing is going to increase a lot, many companies would do well to swallow some pain now and shift to FOSS platforms, then later save tons of money on licensing and with much lower-priced support options. And with more money flowing into such projec

• by DMJC ( 682799 )
      It's easy to be a FLOSS purist when your livelihood doesn't depend on it (I've been on that side of the fence too). But most people have to take a pragmatic view of things. Yes Asterisk is a great engine and it could honestly replace Call Manager for most use cases (and yes I've worked with it professionally). But businesses hate the lack of support for Asterisk and the lack of training.certification programs for it. CCIE/CCNP/CCNA is what they want to deal with. They don't like dealing with complex bespoke
      • my last job used asterisk, the owner and I both knew how to configure it, it's not rocket science. worked great with Cisco phones (and polycom) even! Certification for what?

Cisco is the rube goldberg bespoke solution at five times the price. ditto for their routers, blades, switches....

• There are plenty of other option now. Even DoD is reconsidering it's options due this the mess that this merger is causing.
  • by Blymie ( 231220 ) on Tuesday February 13, 2024 @02:21AM (#64235762)

Broadcom is akin to Boeing, a place where R&D is non-existent, where support is a joke, where issues are ignored, where development stops.

Everything they touch eventually turns to ash. They only care about value extraction short term, and that milk that cow to starvation.

VMWare is done.

He has not acquired a fortune; the fortune has acquired him. -- Bion

Working...